About Dr. Stephen Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra was one of the most highly respected and sought-after cardiologists whose integrative approach to treating cardiovascular disease revitalized patients with even the most advanced forms of illness. He became well-known for his integration of conventional medicine with complementary nutritional, mind-body, and other lifestyle approaches that heal the heart.
He had more than 40 years of clinical practice, research, and study by starting his career as an attending physician at Manchester Memorial Hospital in Connecticut where he then went on to serve as Chief of Cardiology, Director of Medical Education, Director of Echocardiography, Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Director of the Weight-Reducing Program. Dr. Sinatra was also the founder of the New England Heart Center, where he became known as one of America’s top integrative cardiologists.
An early hallmark of Dr. Sinatra’s practice was the use of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) to help address a wide range of heart concerns, several years before the conventional medical world would embrace this “wonder nutrient.” Dr. Sinatra saw first-hand how the supplemental use of nutrients that support energy production in the body—especially CoQ10—could make a tremendous difference in his patients’ lives. As a result, CoQ10 is a core nutrient in Dr. Sinatra’s flagship Omega Q Plus line of supplements.
Also, early on in Dr. Sinatra’s practice, he began to see that stress management was a crucial aspect of heart disease prevention and after studying bioenergetic psychotherapy for over a decade, began working to help his patients heal heartbreak and other emotional scars that impacted their heart health.
Dr. Sinatra was the best-selling author of more than a dozen books, including The Great Cholesterol Myth and Reversing Heart Disease Now, and a speaker and adviser for the research and development of nutritional supplements with Healthy Directions. Through his books and educating the public on major media outlets including CNN, MSNBC, and The Dr. Oz Show, Dr. Sinatra helped tens of thousands of people to achieve better heart health and lead long, healthy and active lives.
Dr. Sinatra joined Healthy Directions in 1995 and worked closely with the Healthy Directions team until his passing in June 2022. Per his wishes, Healthy Directions continues his work, offering his line of heart-healthy supplements and developing advanced nutritional formulas in strict adherence to his philosophy and standards of excellence.
Dr. Sinatra was unlike any other in his passion for learning and unending curiosity. His breadth of experience allowed him to take a truly holistic, mind-body approach to healing, and his extensive credentials reflect the depth and variety of his knowledge.
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American College of Nutrition
- Board Certified, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certified, American College of Cardiology
- Certified Bioenergetic Psychotherapist, Massachusetts Society of Bioenergetic Analysis
- Certified, American Board of Anti-Aging Medicine
- Certified Nutrition Specialist, American Board of Nutrition
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
Dr. Sinatra was one of the first cardiologists to recognize the important healing power of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)—which sparks energy production in every cell of your body, including your heart. In fact, he personally met Fred Crane, the researcher who discovered it. He began using CoQ10 with his patients in the early 1980s and did extensive research on CoQ10 in rodent, human, and equine models including (click on the article title to link to the article):
- Coenzyme Q10 in patients with end-stage heart failure awaiting cardiac transplantation: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Clin Cardiol. 2004 Oct;27(10):A26; author reply A26, A30.
- The effects of coenzyme Q10 on locomotor and behavioral activity in young and aged C57BL/6 mice. Biofactors. 2003;18(1–4):283–7. (Co-authored with D.S. Sinatra and C.J. Heyser.)
- Coenzyme Q10 and congestive heart failure. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Nov 7;133(9):745–6.
- "Care," cancer and coenzyme Q10. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999 Mar;33(3):897–9.
- Relative bioavailability of coenzyme Q10 formulations in human subjects. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1998;68(2):109 13. (Co-authored with R.K. Chopra, R. Goldman, and H.N. Bhagavan.)
- Coenzyme Q10: a vital therapeutic nutrient for the heart with special application in congestive heart failure. Conn Med. 1997 Nov;61(11):707–11.
- Refractory congestive heart failure successfully managed with high dose coenzyme Q10 administration. Molec Aspects Med. 1997;18(Supp.)s299–s305.
- Plasma coenzyme Q10 and tocopherols in thoroughbred race horses: effect of coenzyme Q10 supplementation and exercise. Journ of Equine Vet Science. 2013:34(2):265–269. (Co-authored with S.N. Jankowitz, R.K. Chopra, and H.N. Bhagavan.)
- Coenzyme Q10 in equine serum: response to supplementation. Journ of Equine Vet Science. 2012:32(12):805–815. (Co-authored with R. Chopra, S. Jankowitz, D. Horohov, and H. Bhagavan.)
The heart is one of the top energy users in your body. It contains more mitochondria—“energy factories”—than other cells. Plus, it must beat tirelessly around the clock. Dr. Sinatra’s metabolic cardiology approach of fueling that energy production process with the right nutrients—including CoQ10, L-carnitine, magnesium, and D-ribose—can make a real difference.
- Metabolic cardiology: an integrative strategy in the treatment of congestive heart failure. Altern Ther Health Med. 2009 May–June;15(3):44–52.
- Metabolic cardiology: the missing link in cardiovascular disease. Altern Ther Health Med. 2009 Mar-Apr;15(2):48–50.
- D-Ribose supplementation in the equine: lack of effect on glycated plasma proteins suggesting safety in humans. J Am Coll Nutr. 2015;34(2):1087–12 (Co-authored with C. Caiazzo.)
- The Today Show
- The Dr. Oz Show
- Your Health with Dr. Richard and Cindy Becker
- Eva Herr
- The People’s Pharmacy
- The Doctors
- The 700 Club
- New study shows the Omega Q Plus® formulas have impressive heart health and energy benefits
- Omega Q Plus® MAX named finalist at SupplySide West 2019—an award spotlighting products that demonstrate “innovation, inspiration, and integrity”
- Healthy Directions LLC becomes corporate sponsor Vitamin Angels®, a global nonprofit public health organization
- Healthy Directions announces that Omega Q Plus® MAX is now available in GNC stores
- Omega-3 SLIM Max earns finalist recognition for 2018 in the Weight Management category at the SupplySide CPG Editor’s Choice Awards
You can find Dr. Stephen Sinatra’s advice on the Be HEALTHistic podcast, which he co-hosted with his son, naturopathic physician Dr. Drew Sinatra. Together, they delved into a wide range of health topics and had intriguing and informative conversations with expert guests.
Dr. Sinatra’s Books and Journal Articles
- His newsletter, Heart, Health & Nutrition, which he published monthly for more than 15 years.
- More than a dozen books, including:
- The Great Cholesterol Myth
- The Great Cholesterol Myth Cookbook
- Reverse Heart Disease Now
- Heartbreak & Heart Disease
- Nutritional and Integrative Strategies in Cardiovascular Medicine
- The Sinatra Solution/Metabolic Cardiology: Revive, Rejuvenate and Revitalize Your Heart
- Health Revelations from Heaven and Earth
- Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
- The Healing Kitchen
- Contributions to numerous peer-reviewed medical journals:
- Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
- Connecticut Medicine
- Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Journal of American College of Nutrition
- Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Journal of Equine Veterinary Science