Additional Product Details
Sleep Answer® is guaranteed to help you fall asleep fast…and stay asleep through the night
After 20 years of research and eight human clinical trials, Dr. Richard Wurtman, one of America's leading sleep experts—a noted MIT and Harvard professor—has discovered the solution you've been looking for in a melatonin supplement…
Melatonin is the brain chemical with the lion's share of responsibility for managing your sleep cycle. Dr. Wurtman discovered that, once we reach 70, our levels of melatonin decrease significantly—by as much as 75%!
The result is an inefficient sleep cycle, so you can have trouble falling asleep…trouble staying asleep…restless tossing and turning…and a day wrought with low energy, and fatigue. He knew that replenishing melatonin levels was the key to helping men and women get back to healthier sleep cycles.
What Dr. Wurtman discovered is that when it comes to the pro-sleep benefits of supplemental melatonin…less is more.
Decades of research and clinical trials uncovered the fact that too much melatonin can actually overload melatonin receptors in the brain. In essence, drowning them in so much melatonin they are no longer able to process it properly.
Most melatonin vitamin supplements contain 2 mg…3 mg…even as much as 10 mg of melatonin! With these higher doses, the melatonin receptors in your brain get overwhelmed and become desensitized and, eventually, the higher dosages will no longer work.
What makes Sleep Answer so unique is that it delivers low-dose melatonin throughout the night—a two-pronged approach to giving you a perfect night's sleep!
Sleep Answer's outer capsule dissolves first—delivering an ideal 0.3 mg dose of fast-acting, liquid melatonin just minutes after you take it, resetting your natural sleep cycle so you can get to sleep quickly.
Then, thanks to cutting-edge, capsule-in-capsule technology, 3—4 hours after taking melatonin vitamin Sleep Answer, its inner capsule dissolves and begins releasing tiny "sleep" beads filled with a second low dose of melatonin (0.6 mg dose) so you can stay asleep. This total amount of melatonin—less than 1 mg—is an ideal dose for adults 50 and over, and is not associated with morning/daytime grogginess, or "hangovers" often found with higher dosages of melatonin.
Sleep Answer is the ONLY sleep aid specifically based on research with adults 50+
And Sleep Answer uses capsule-in-capsule technology to deliver two doses of melatonin timed to ensure you can fall asleep quickly, stay asleep through the night, and awake refreshed, energized and ready to take on your day. Without grogginess!
Ingredients and Dosage
Doctor's Suggested Use: If you are taking melatonin now, you should stop a few days before starting Sleep Answer. Take one dual-release capsule every night, 30 to 60 minutes before bed.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 28
|Ingredient||Amount Per Serving||% DV|
|*Daily Value (DV) not established.|
Other ingredients: Glycerin, vegetable cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, sugar, talc, pharmaceutical glaze, polyvinylpyrrolidone, FD&C Blue Lake #2.
Warning: For adult use only at bedtime. This product is not to be taken by pregnant or lactating women. If you are taking medication or have a medical condition, consult a physician before using this product. Do not use in conjunction with alcoholic beverages, when driving a vehicle, or while operating machinery.
Keep out of reach of children.
LICAPS and LICAPS Design are trademarks and used under license.
Science and Quality
It's not your fault! Melatonin levels take a significant drop after age 50...and continue to drop as you age.
Nocturnal melatonin secretion starts a continuing decline in most people, with peak nocturnal levels in most 70-year-olds being only a quarter or less of what they are in young adults. This decline may reflect the progressive unexplained (but ubiquitous) calcification of the pineal gland, resulting in loss of melatonin-secreting tissue.
Studies prove it—when it comes to melatonin, less is more for men and women over 50.
Irina V. Zhdanova, MD, Ph.D, and Richard J. Wurtman, MD, et al., examined the ability of different doses of melatonin to restore nighttime melatonin levels and sleep efficiency in subjects over 50 years old.
- In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, subjects who slept normally or exhibited poor sleep efficiency received a placebo or one of three melatonin doses (0.1, 0.3, and 3.0 mg) orally 30 minutes before bedtime for a week. Treatments were separated by 1 week washout periods.
- The 0.3 mg dose of melatonin improved sleep efficiency and also elevated plasma melatonin. The greatest effect of the 0.3 mg dose was seen particularly during the middle portion of sleep.
- The 0.3 mg dose caused peak levels in the range usually observed at night among young adults.
- The 3.0 mg dose also improved sleep; however, it caused plasma melatonin levels to remain elevated into the daylight hours (which is associated with morning grogginess).
- Researchers concluded that a 0.3 mg dose was either as effective as, or more effective than, higher doses, particularly when the hormone was administered for several days.
Patented capsule-in-capsule technology helps ensure that you fall asleep fast…and sleep soundly through the night:
- Sleep Answer utilizes the patented Licaps® liquid filled capsule technology with its unique multiphase, capsule-in-capsule delivery system. The outer capsule contains a liquid (glycerin) containing 0.3 mg of solubilized melatonin. The inner capsule (floating in the liquid) contains special melatonin microbeads, delivering 0.6 mg, for a total of 0.9 mg of melatonin nightly.
- The dissolution of the Sleep Answer capsules has been tested in a simulated gastric environment. The outer capsule, like any regular capsule, is designed to disintegrate within 20 minutes once in the stomach. Within 30 minutes of ingestion, 0.3 mg of melatonin should be released from the capsule. Next, the controlled-release inner capsule begins to break down about 3 hours after ingestion, and the microbeads contained within it are designed to slowly release the melatonin over the next hour. This means that the second 0.6 mg dose of melatonin should be released about 3–4 hours after ingestion, which coincides with the same time frame as many people report waking up after falling asleep at night. The second dose serves to help people return to sleep more easily if they awaken, or help them stay asleep the whole night through.
Prior to developing Sleep Answer, Dr. Wurtman's own experience demonstrated that after waking in the night, taking a second low dose of melatonin would help falling back to sleep. So he was delighted to discover a new technology that automatically delivers a second dose just when you need it—to keep you sleeping soundly all night long.
- Manufactured to exacting standards using highest quality raw materials
- Produced in accordance with our strict Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that meet those set by the FDA’s Good Manufacturing Practices
- Every batch tested to verify purity and potency specifications are met
- Quality assured with our Triple-Testing Philosophy™
- Backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee
Product reviews and ratings are provided for informational purposes only and reflect solely the views and opinions expressed by the individual contributors and not those of Healthy Directions LLC. Healthy Directions LLC neither verifies nor endorses any claims made in these reviews and ratings.