Be HEALTHistic: A Preview
Season 1, Episode 1
Welcome to Be HEALTHistic, a podcast that brings together traditional and modern medicine and goes beyond health and wellness information to empower listeners to become their best selves. Be HEALTHistic is powered by our friends at Healthy Directions, and our conversations will thoughtfully uncover the whole story about holistic and natural health.
Hosted by renowned cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra and board-certified naturopathic physician and self-described “health detective ” Dr. Drew Sinatra — a father-and-son doctor duo who have decades of integrative health experience between them — Be HEALTHistic, a weekly program, delves into a wide range of health topics and will include informative conversations with leading experts. Through this podcast, Dr. Stephen and Dr. Drew Sinatra will lend their expertise to help listeners navigate their paths to optimal health by giving them the advice, guidance and options needed to make informed decisions.
Be HEALTHistic seeks to create a community, connecting like-minded listeners who are dedicated to achieving and maintaining their health (and the health of their families) through integrative medicine. Be HEALTHistic launches on January 15th and will be available on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast platform. We look forward to you joining us!
LINKS & RESOURCES
- Visit the Healthy Directions website for more health and wellness content and information!
- Check out the Healthy Directions Articles Archive, where you can search for specific, health-related content from all of our Healthy Directions doctors and experts.
- Dr. Briana mentioned a mouse study at the top of the show; you can find out more about that research in the journal Cell here. And here is an additional article with more information about what the science says about “feed a cold, starve a fever.”
- Drs. Drew and Briana talk about using OTC medications, like Tylenol, as fever reducers. Read this article by Dr. Briana, which provides more information on alternatives to acetaminophen for children.
- Dr. Briana mentioned an elderberry syrup recipe that she’s made with her kids, which is great for immune support. Get the recipe here!
Drs. Drew and Briana also mentioned a cold and flu buster citrus drink, which kids or adults can enjoy.
Here’s the simple recipe:
- Juice fresh apples in a juicer
- Squeeze in the juice of fresh oranges and lemons
- Add some water and fresh ginger and heat them up in a saucepan on the stovetop
- Add some honey to taste — and for adults, you can add a sprinkling of cayenne pepper, too.
- Drs. Drew and Briana mentioned the warming socks treatment, which they always do whenever anyone in the family gets sick — including the kids. Here are some instructions from Dr. Briana on how you can try it at home; scroll down to Section #2 in the article.
- It’s a struggle to get our kids to wash their hands properly, and Dr. Briana shared tips for how to make handwashing fun! Check out this article on handwashing for parents and children.
- Dr. Briana mentioned she likes Dr. Bronner’s soaps and hand sanitizers; you can find out more about all of their products here.
- Drs. Drew and Briana talked about all the advantages of eating fermented foods, how they used to make their own, and how they got their kids to eat them from an early age. Read this article by Dr. Drew on the health benefits of fermented foods.
- Feeling adventurous and want to make your own fermented creations? Check out these videos from Drs. Drew and Briana on how to make your own yogurt and kombucha!
- Dr. Briana mentioned that for those people who don’t like the taste of fermented foods, there are also great probiotic and prebiotic options. Get more information on giving probiotics to your children in Dr. Briana’s article here.
- Dr. Drew wrapped up the show by talking about the “hygiene hypothesis;” he touches upon this concept in this article about peanut allergies in children. For even more details and research about this theory, read this “hygiene hypothesis” information provided by the FDA.
- For more holistic health information from Dr. Briana, check out this article with her top 10 tips for all-natural moms.
Narrator: Welcome to Be HEALTHistic, a brand new podcast that will combine all the best aspects of conventional and holistic medicine. We want these engaging conversations to empower you with the information you need to make important choices about your health and wellness needs, because you do have choices and that's what Drs. Steve and Drew Sinatra are here to offer you.
What sets the Sinatras apart from other practitioners is their commitment to listening. Conventional medicine treats symptoms, but the doctors Sinatra really listen to their patients to get to the root of their health concerns, so they can offer more comprehensive solutions for healing their bodies and minds. They will help you take control of your own health and become your own greatest advocate. So let's meet your hosts, a father and son doctor duo, who together have decades of integrative health experience.
Dr. Steve Sinatra is a highly respected cardiologist whose integrative approach to treating heart disease has healed patients with even the most advanced forms of illness. His expertise is grounded in more than 40 years of clinical practice, research, and study. In 1987 Dr. Sinatra founded the New England Heart Center. Through it he became a well-known advocate of combining conventional medical treatments for heart disease with complimentary nutritional anti-aging and psychological therapies.
In addition to co-hosting our new podcast, Dr. Steve Sinatra is an author, speaker, and advisor for the research and development of nutritional supplements. He is also currently trying to change the paradigm in medical school education by expanding on what doctors learn, and making them aware of holistic alternatives.
Dr. Drew Sinatra chose a slightly different path. He's a board-certified naturopathic doctor and self-described health detective. He works with patients to promote more natural healing, and improve quality of life by addressing health care rather than disease care. His areas of expertise include treating autoimmune diseases, Lyme disease, fatigue, digestive and sleep disorders, as well as anxiety and depression. As a naturopath Drew believes in the healing power of nature. He is a true expert on the gut microbiome and the dramatic and often surprising impact it can have on your overall health.
When Drew's not in the office, he's exploring the great outdoors in Northern California with his wife, Dr. Briana Sinatra, and their two little boys. Briana is also a practicing naturopathic physician specializing in women's and children's health, and she will appear regularly on the podcast with Drew in a series we're calling Ask Dr. Mom and Dr. Dad.
In addition to the Sinatras, you'll meet experts across the health and wellness spectrum, as well as innovative thought leaders, who are making new inroads in medicine and healthcare. Another series we'll be bringing you regularly is called Pulse Check, where the doctors will discuss trending health topics, giving you a well-rounded point of view on the latest news, so that you can make the most informed decisions about your own health and wellness. Be HEALTHistic, powered by our friends at Healthy Directions, launches on January 15th, and will be available on Apple podcasts or your favorite podcast platform. We look forward to you joining us.
Don't Miss Out!
Advice from our doctors plus valuable savings, sent right to your inbox! Plus, 20% off and free shipping on your next order!
Meet Dr. Drew Sinatra
Dr. Drew Sinatra is a board-certified naturopathic doctor and self-described “health detective” with a passion for promoting natural healing, wellness, and improving quality of life by addressing the root cause of illness in patients of all ages. His vibrant practice focuses on treating the whole person (mind, body, and spirit) and finding missed connections between symptoms and health issues that are often overlooked by conventional medicine.
Meet Dr. Stephen Sinatra
Dr. Stephen Sinatra is a highly respected and sought-after cardiologist and nutritionist with more than 30 years of clinical practice, research, and study. His integrative approach to heart health focuses on reducing inflammation in the body and maximizing the heart's ability to produce and use energy.