The technological age we live in brought us many amazing devices—microwave ovens, cell phones, and Wi-Fi connections, to name a few. However, I’m concerned about the serious EMF radiation health dangers associated with these tools of convenience.
Many chronic illnesses have risen in recent years, such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, autism, and multiple sclerosis. The standard reasons given for the staggering rise—poor diet, lack of physical activity, and stress—hold true. However, there’s another factor that’s largely overlooked—the effect of electropollution on our bodies’ operating systems.
What is EMF Radiation?
Electropollution is a collective term for the unseen, unfelt, and unnatural electromagnetic fields (EMFs) we are increasingly exposed to. EMFs are generated by everything from high-tension electrical wires to wiring in the walls of homes and offices, cell phones, wireless networks, and even such accepted home appliances as radios, televisions, and microwave ovens.
The truth is there’s much still unknown about the effects of EMF radiation on the human body. What I think is clear, though, is that chaotic EMFs crisscrossing your community, flooding your household, and bathing your body, cannot be good for you.
How EMF Radiation Affects Your Health
We are highly-tuned and highly-sensitive bioelectrical creatures. Every process in your body is regulated by dynamic electrical currents. This includes the pumping action of your heart, neurotransmissions within your nervous system, and the electrochemical activity of the 500 trillion synapses in your brain.
There are many studies that have shown the negative impact EMF radiation can have on our health, including numerous studies involving young children. One example is a team of researchers at UCLA who studied the possible association between behavioral problems in young children and prenatal and postnatal exposure to cell phones.
They reviewed questionnaires answered by the mothers of 13,159 Dutch children once their children reached seven years of age. And the researchers concluded that exposure to cell phones before birth—and, to a lesser degree, after birth—was associated with “emotional and hyperactivity problems around the age of school entry.”
I also don’t think we can count on our government agencies to keep us safe from EMF’s—and microwave ovens are a prime example. The FDA has regulated the manufacture of microwave ovens since 1971 and says they’re safe to use. A federal standard limits the amount of microwave energy that can leak out of a microwave oven, and the FDA says that limit is far below the level known to be harmful. Yet, that hasn't been my experience.
On numerous occasions over the years, I’ve checked other people’s microwave ovens for leaks by using an inexpensive, hand-held radiation meter. I get the same result every time: The meter goes wild. That's why no matter what the FDA says, it’s impossible for me to watch the meter and believe we're safe.
How To Block EMF Radiation
I want to make it clear that I’m not a Luddite who shuns all technology. I love how much easier it is to keep in touch and stay informed with devices like cell phones and laptop computers with Wi-Fi connections. However, when it comes to health, I’ve decided to err on the side of caution by monitoring my exposure to electropollution and trying to reduce it when possible.
To give yourself the most protection from EMF radiation:
- Use a Corded Landline: For most phone calls I make or receive, I’m content to wait for a landline. Cordless phones, which have become the norm in most households, generate alarmingly large amounts of EMF radiation compared to phones with cords.
- Change Computer Connections: Hardwire your computers to an ethernet connection to avoid exposure to WiFi.
- Only Use Cell Phones on Speaker: Never put a cell phone up to your ear and near your brain. Instead, put it on speaker and move the phone away from your body. Plus, you never—let me repeat never—want to give a cell phone to a child because their bodies are even more susceptible to the radiation.
- Find a Place To Carry Your Cell Phone: Never carry your cell phone on your body, such as in breast pockets, pants pockets, or in bras. Researchers have identified clusters of breast nodules in the shape of a cell phone among those who stashed their phones in their bras. Stow your phone in a carrying bag.
- Know the SAR: When purchasing a cell phone, find out its specific absorption rate (SAR). SAR is a way of measuring the quantity of radio frequency energy that is absorbed by the body. The lower the SAR of a cell phone, the better it is. I wouldn’t consider any cell phone model with a SAR level of more than 0.5.
- Avoid Microwave Ovens: Not only do microwave ovens emit EMF’s, they break down vitamin B12 in your food into inactive substances, release potentially toxic compounds from food packaging, and causes a loss of antioxidant compounds in vegetables. Instead of microwaving your food, cook it on the stovetop or in your oven.
- Become an EMF Detective: Consider buying an electropollution detector. Electropollution detectors can tell you how strong EMF radiation waves are—and how far they extend beyond their source.
- Try Earthing: Research shows Earthing (also known as grounding ), which is the practice of physically reconnecting with the Earth by either going barefoot outside or sitting or lying on special conductive devices (such as pads for the floor or bed) that are plugged into a grounded electrical outlet, helps to protect you from EMF radiation.